As a new school year ramps up, I have been preparing for my usual eighth grade physical science course. In addition, I am teaching the first ever robotics elective course at Brentwood School. My plate is full, and that is why I am passing the following email on to the Minecraft community. I believe it is indicative of the present paradigm shift in education away from “stand and deliver” instruction towards more technological and experiential instruction. My question: why not take an environment that kids absolutely love playing in and use it to create learning about the world they are living in? I can’t think of reason. The email: Minecraft teacher wanted “to engage [kids] in topics of geometry, biology, physics, architecture, etc.” Hmm, I think Minecraft would work for that.
MINECRAFT TEACHER WANTED- Ojai/Ventura/Santa Barbara area
- Classes will be designed to meet our collective schedules.
- Classes could be week-long intensives, weekend workshops, or weekly sessions.
- In person and real-time preferred but could be virtual.
- Meeting location negotiable.
- Hourly or project rate to be determined based on qualifications and schedule.
- Temporary Room and Board in Ojai available if classes are held on weekends.
- Teaching experience a plus.
- Experience with homeschoolers and/or alternative styles of education a plus!